The Post Graduate Research Institute in Animal Sciences was originally started as "Sheep Farm" with an area of 246.69 ha. in the year 1957. It is situated 40 km south of Chennai city on Grand Southern Trunk Road. The farm had been brought under the control of the Director of Veterinary Education and Research on 01.12.1969 and was named as "Livestock Research Station" since research involves many species of livestock viz. cattle, sheep, goat, swine and poultry. Later this farm had become a constituent unit of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University from 01.12.1976 and continues to function under Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from 20.09.1989. Later, in the year 2011, the Livestock Research Station was upgraded as Post Graduate Research Institute in Animal Sciences.