Regional Research and Educational Centre (RREC), Pudukkottai, was originally started as Poultry Research and Development Centre (PRDC) on 17.10.1982 under the control of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. PRDC concentrated on the establishment of broiler and layer farms in and around Pudukkottai District. After the establishment of Veterinary University in Tamil Nadu, this centre was brought under the control of TANUVAS from 20.09.89. This centre name was changed subsequently as University Training and Research Centre (UTRC), Veterinary University Training and Research Centre (VUTRC). UTRC as well as VUTRC concentrated both on livestock and poultry enterprises. The VUTRC was shifted to DANIDA building complex, Andakkulam road with a total land area of 38.33 acres on 01.08.2004. This centre has been upgraded as Regional Resource Centre with increased staff strength on 01.06.2004. The name was changed into TANUVAS-Regional Research Centre (RRC) on 19.08.05.
TANUVAS-Regional Research Centre, Pudukkottai is located at Machuvadi area northern side of Pudukkottai town and it is 4 km away from Pudukkottai bus stand. The area of this centre is 38.33 acres.
1. Establishment of Emu research unit
2. NADP Scheme on "Genetic upgradation of cattle and buffaloes in Tamilnadu: Adoption of oestrus synchronization techniques to improve productive and reproductive potential"
3. TNLDA, Chennai Sponsored Artificial Insemination Training Programme
4. Extension reforms scheme - Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA)
5. TNSCS&T scheme on :"The development of modern technology on turkey rearing and popularization of the same among the rural people in Pudukkottai District"
6. NFDB sponsored "Breeding, rearing and marketing of commercially important fresh water ornamental fishes" – Training
7. NADP Scheme on Validating the Research on Mineral Map of Tamilnadu
8. NADP scheme on "Centre for Polytechnic Courses in Animal Sciences"
|S.No.||Name of the scheme||Allotted fund (Rs.in lakhs)||Funding agency|
|1||Self financing scheme on “The development of modern technology in Turkey rearing and popularization of the same among the rural people in Pudukkottai district”||-||-|
|2||Indian Council of Agricultural Research Scheme on “Modernization of Agricultural University Farms”||-||ICAR-MAUF|
|3||ICAR sub project – Veterinary Type Culture – Tribal Sub Plan 2012-13||1.00||ICAR|
|4||ATMA – Scheme||7.42||GOI|
Ten numbers of veterinary students from Michigan State University, USA visited this centre on 18.06.2010 along with 2 staff members.
Ten numbers of veterinary students from Virginania – Maryland University, Blacksburg, USA visited this centre on 27.07.2010 along with 2 staff members.
Tmt. M.P. Nirmala, I.A.S., Secretary, Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Government of Tamilnadu visited on 29.08.2010.
Dr. R. Prabakaran Ph.D., Vice-chancellor, TANUVAS, Chennai visited on 07.06.2011 and reviewed the activities of the centre.
Dr. R. Prabakaran Ph.D., Vice-chancellor, TANUVAS, Chennai visited on 24.03.2012 and inaugurated "Centre for Polytechnic Courses in Animal Sciences" at TANUVAS, RRC, Pudukkottai.
The Professor and Head
TANUVAS, Regional Research Centre
Pudukkottai - 622 004
Phone : 04322 - 271443