Veterinary University Training and Research Centre, Vellore has been incepted during the year 1981 with the main objective of promoting poultry farms in Vellore District and continuously striving hard in establishing various livestock farms on scientific lines. This centre has played a vital role in the creation of awareness among the farming community about poultry farming practices in early stages leading to the attainment of Broiler farming to the present status of "Integrative business mode". Currently, our centre is actively engaged in offering various Livestock farming and Product preparation training programs. Moreover, research projects/studies are being taken up to solve the field problems related to the Livestock/ Poultry Industry.
Previously the centre was functioning in the rented premises from 1981 of its inception and from 09.11.2009 the centre started functioning in its own building allotted by the District Collector in the Collectorate Campus, Sathuvachari, Vellore.
- On campus training programs
- Off campus training programs
- Farm Advisory Services
- Training on Value addition of Milk & Milk products.
- Preparation and distribution of pamphlets to livestock farmers
- Participation in Mass Contact Programmes and Tamilnadu Government Livestock Protection Scheme (TNGLPS)
- Participation in Exhibitions
- Disease Investigation in local Out breaks
- Studying Disease Pattern in Vellore District on Bacterial, Viral and Parasitic Diseases
- Farm visits/ rendering technical services for establishment of new farms
- Consultancy services in Animal Husbandry activities
- Project reports for availing bank loans
- Water Analysis for microbial load in water for poultry farms
- Field and Method demonstration of various findings of the university and implementation of Lab to Land policy for the benefit of farming community.
- To impart training to beneficiaries of the following Tamil Nadu Government Schemes
- Priceless livestock distribution - Dairy/Sheep/Goat trainings
- Fodder Development Scheme - Fodder training
- Scheme for Poultry Development - Poultry Training
- Mission for National Protein Supplementation - goat rearing to self help group members – Goat Rearing Training
- Livestock Inspector Training at Mugundarayapuram for - Livestock trainees
Local problems of farmers in Livestock and Poultry were identified and research projects were taken up. A total of 5 sub projects were completed
- A survey on consumer preference for meat in Vellore town
- A survey on consumer preference for milk in Vellore town
- A survey on consumer preference for egg in Vellore town
- Screening of febrile/ tick infested animals for blood protozoan infection in Vellore district.
- Screening of milk for Brucellosis in Vellore Aavin
Under the scheme "Information Technology and Rural Extension in India", 250 families had been personally interviewed in Chitteri panchayat at Vellore block to assess the information needs of the community. Based on that, a Village Information Centre (Telecentre) was established. Information on agriculture, veterinary, public health, education, voluntary organisation, sports, transport, etc. had been collected. So far 7446 persons had utilized this centre for search of information regarding employment opportunity, higher studies, entertainment and to gain knowledge in the field of animal husbandry and agriculture
Under Agricultural Technology Management Agency, Vellore 2 research schemes have been completed.
- A study on level of adoption of new technology on silage making of sugarcane tops among farmers – An alternative animal fodder.
- A study on level of diffusion of technology through capacity building protocol amongst farmers interest groups on feed computation and mixing with the locally available feed ingredients.
In Co-ordination with University Scheme
- Cooperating centre for the NADP Scheme on "Genetic Upgradation of Cattle and Buffaloes in Tamilnadu: Adoption of Oestrus Synchronization Technique to improve productive and reproductive potential" with Department of Animal Reproduction Gynecology and Obstetrics, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai.
- Coordinated with the scheme on "Genetic Upgradation of Goats by Artificial Insemination" with Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai
- Coordinated with the scheme on "Conducting baseline studies in the project areas through assessing the present status of animal husbandry sector before implementation of the TNIAMWARM project" with Department of Animal Reproduction Gynecology and Obstetrics, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai-7.
- Coordinated with the NADP scheme on "Validating the research on mineral map of Tamil Nadu", Department of Animal Nutrition, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai.
- Coordinated with Department of Livestock Production and Management, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai under ICAR CRIDA scheme on "Preparation of District Level Contingency Plan for Tamil Nadu for Animal Husbandry and Fisheries".
- Preparation of District Agricultural Plan – Animal Husbandry for the districts of Vellore, Tiruvannamalai and Cuddalore under NADP scheme.
|DWDA Off Campus Training
||NADP Scheme on Oestrus Synchronisation
||Priceless Goat Training
At Present the centre is coordinating with the 2 following research schemes along with 1 farm school (ATMA, Vellore)
- NADP Scheme on "Popularizing model fodder seed bank at farmers field to augment fodder production" with Post Graduate Research Institute in Animal Sciences, Kattupakkam – 603 203.
- DBT scheme on "Augmenting milk production through fodder production and mineral mixture supplementation" with Department of Veterinary Animal Husbandry Extension & Entrepreneurship, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai.
- ATMA farm school on "Intensive system of Goat rearing" by VUTRC, Vellore.
Other line departments in collaboration with VUTRC, TANUVAS, Vellore
- Department of Animal Husbandry, Vellore district
- TCMPF (Aavin), Sathuvachari, Vellore district
- Department of Agriculture, Vellore district
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Virinjipuram, Vellore District
- Pudhu Vazhvu Thittam, Vellore District
- Agriculture technological management Agency (ATMA), Vellore District
- Farmers Training Centre, Sathuvachari, Vellore District
- Department of (Inland) Fisheries, Vellore District
- Department of Forest, Vellore District
Dr.S.Saraswathi, Assistant Professor and Head | | Mobile: +91 - 9443038841
Dr.B.Rajesh Kumar, Assistant Professor | | Mobile: +91 - 9789265778
The Assistant Professor and Head,
Veterinary University Training and Research Centre,
District Collectorate Campus,
Sathuvachari, Vellore – 632 009.
Phone No. 0416 – 2253022.