Veterinary University Training and Research Centre, Dindigul has been functioning since 26.6.1999 to disseminate modern innovations and technologies in the field of animal husbandry, to the farmers, field veterinarians and officers of the line departments in Dindigul district.
- To impart training on the felt needs of the end users, practicing farmers and officers of the line departments.
- To act as a two way channel between the University and the farmers to identify the field based livestock and poultry problems and also to pass on the remedial measures.
- To conduct on-farm trials on the latest research findings of the University and field oriented problems specific to the area.
- To ensure an immediate and proper diagnosis of disease in the event of an outbreak with special emphasis on disease reporting system.
- To motivate and encourage local farmers in establishing livestock and poultry farms for self-employment.
- To collaborate with Central and State sponsored rural development Programmes.
- To develop and maintain data base on livestock and poultry in the area.
- To carry out short-term need based location specific projects.
- Training - On-Campus and Off-Campus
- Mass Contact Programme
- Animal Health Camps
- Farm visit and Advice
- Guest lectures
- Farmers meet
- Establishment of livestock farms
- Disease investigation and advice
- Coordinating line departments in veterinary services
- Conduct of on-campus and off-campus training programmes on various aspects of livestock and poultry farming to the practicing farmers, women self help groups, landless labourers, rural poor, unemployed youth, economically weaker sections and entrepreneurs. The various programmes offered are:
- Scientific dairy farming
- Goat and sheep rearing
- Rabbit rearing
- Desi chicken rearing
- Pig farming
- Japanese quail and turkey farming
- Advisory services on livestock and poultry farming – in person, by post, through telephone, touch screen, E-mail etc.
- Farm visits at initial stages of establishment and during disease outbreaks.
- Conduct of post-mortem and collection of clinical materials for investigation.
- Screening of samples at the laboratory and dispatch of samples to the Central University Laboratory, TANUVAS, Chennai and suggesting suitable remedial measures.
- Sending Farm Radio Bulletins to the All India Radio, Coimbatore on training programmes, disease forecasts and managemental practices.
- Transfer of modern scientific technologies and package of practices on livestock and poultry farming to the farmers.
- Participating in the animal health camps, mass contact programmes, infertility camps and N.S.S. Camps organized by the line departments, non-governmental organizations and other educational institutions in the district.
- Documentation of success stories of the farmers.
- Organizing farmers meet, forums etc. and conducting exhibitions on livestock and poultry farming.
- Sale of University publications.
- Subscription to Kalnadai Kathir Journal.
- Sale of TANUVAS Mineral Mixture and fodder seeds.
- Motivation of farmers to attend Seminars, Workshops etc. organized by other units of TANUVAS.
Achievements (upto 31.12.2012)
|On-Campus training programme conducted
|Off-Campus training programme conducted
|Training conducted through DRDA/SGSY
||14 (624 beneficiaries)
|Livestock protection camp
|Mass contact programme
|NSS camps attended
|Video programme conducted
|New farms established
|Farmers meeting organized
Dr. S.Sivaseelan, Professor and Head | M: +91-9442937227 | E : sivaseelan[dot]s[at]tanuvas[dot]ac[dot]in
Dr.V.Ramakrishnan, Assitant Professor | M: +91-9789654869 | E:ramakrishnan[dot]v[at]tanuvas[dot]ac[dot]in
Dr. M.Dashprakash, Assistant Professor | M: +91-9698380885 | E : firstname.lastname@example.org
Veterinary University Training And Research Centre,
Dindigul – 624 004.