Establishment and Development of the Centre
This Centre was established under the 'Scheme for Control of Abortion in Cattle' in the Department of Animal Husbandry, Agricultural College and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore on 18.10.1982. The Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, (TANUVAS) was founded on 20.09.1989 as the first Veterinary and Animal Sciences University in India. Subsequently, University Training and Research Centre, Coimbatore was renamed as Veterinary University Training and Research Centre, Coimbatore from 08.04.1999.
The Veterinary University Training and Research Centre is functioning at No.63, Kalapatti Pirivu, Saravanamapatty Post, Coimbatore-641 035 on the Sathyamangalam Main Road about 9 Km from Gandhipuram.
Objectives of the Centre
- To impart training on the felt needs of the end users, practicing farmers and officers of the line departments.
- To act as a two way channel between the University and the farmers to identify the field based livestock and poultry problems and also to pass on the remedial measures.
- To conduct on-farm trials on the latest research findings of the University and field oriented problems specific to the area.
- To ensure an immediate and proper diagnosis of disease in the event of an outbreak with special emphasis on disease reporting system.
- To motivate and encourage local farmers in establishing livestock and poultry farms for self-employment.
- To collaborate with Central and State sponsored rural development Programmes.
- To develop and maintain data base on livestock and poultry in the area.
- To carry out short-term need based location specific projects.
Services Offered by the Centre
- Conduct of on-campus and off-campus training programmes on various aspects of livestock and poultry farming to the practicing farmers, women self help groups, landless labourers, rural poor, unemployed youth, economically weaker sections and entrepreneurs. The various programmes offered are:
- Scientific dairy farming
- Goat and sheep rearing
- Rabbit rearing
- Desi chicken rearing
- Pig farming
- Japanese quail and turkey farming
- Hygienic slaughter and dressing of sheep, goats and chicken
- Preparation, packaging and marketing of value-added milk and meat products
- Establishment of retail meat units.
- Advisory services on livestock and poultry farming – in person, by post, through telephone, touch screen, E-mail etc.
- Farm visits at initial stages of establishment and during disease outbreaks.
- Conduct of post-mortem and collection of clinical materials for investigation.
- Screening of samples at the laboratory and dispatch of samples to the Central University Laboratory, TANUVAS, Chennai and suggesting suitable remedial measures.
- Sending Farm Radio Bulletins to the All India Radio, Coimbatore on training programmes, disease forecasts and managemental practices.
- Transfer of modern scientific technologies and package of practices on livestock and poultry farming to the farmers.
- Participating in the animal health camps, mass contact programmes, infertility camps and N.S.S. Camps organized by the line departments, non-governmental organizations and other educational institutions in the district.
- Documentation of success stories of the farmers.
- Organizing farmers meet, forums etc. and conducting exhibitions on livestock and poultry farming.
- Sale of University publications
- Subscription to Kalnadai Kathir Journal
- Sale of TANUVAS Mineral Mixture and fodder seeds
- Sale of B.V.Sc., B.F.Sc., and B.Tech. applications
- Motivation of farmers to attend Seminars, Workshops etc. organized by other units of TANUVAS.
- Coordination with Distance Education Cell – Self Employment Training Programmes
- Coordination with Distance Education Cell – Farm Stay Programmes
- Coordination with Education Cell – B.V.Sc., Internship Programme
- Coordination with other University Schemes- Collection of field samples, specimens etc.
- Experimental Blue Tongue vaccination in the district.
- Experimental PPR vaccination in the district.
- Establishment of model fodder plots.
- Sale of fodder seeds.
- Feeding of Azolla in dairy cows and rabbits.
- Enrichment of paddy straw with urea
- Importance of minerals in the feed of dairy cattle (TANUVAS mineral mixture)
- Use of milking machines and chaff cutters in the dairy farms
- Electrical stunning of sheep - Fabrication of an electrical stunner – demonstration of humane slaughter of sheep
- Construction of a model slaughter facility at Thalavadi Village - plan and details were provided
- Construction of model retail meat shops in the premises of Coimbatore corporation cattle slaughterhouse – details provided to the corporation Veterinary Officer, Coimbatore.
- Preparation of value-added meat products- cutlets, chicken pickles, croquettes etc.
- Preparation of value-added milk products – Training programmes on 'Milk and Milk Products' – paneer, khoa, gulabjammon etc.
- Hygienic slaughter and dressing of chicken – retail women butchers (SHGs) in the Corporation limit, to the butchers in the retail chicken processing units.
- Entrepreneurship Development Programme on Poultry Meat Production, Processing and Value-addition
- Skill Development Training Programme on Dairy Farm Assistant
Research Projects Completed
- 'Entrepreneurship Development Programmes on Hygienic Meat Production and Value-addition to the Women SHG and Entrepreneurs for Their Livelihood' at a total cost of Rs.12.12 Lakhs.
- NADP Project on 'Genetic Upgradation of Cattle and Buffaloes in Tamil Nadu: Adoption of Estrus Synchronization Technique to Improve Productive and Reproductive Potential'.
Research Project in Progress
• ICAR Poultry Seed Project – Co-opting Centre
- Entrepreneurship Development Programmes on Hygienic Meat Production and Value-addition to the Women SHG and Entrepreneurs for Their Livelihood
- Genetic Upgradation of Cattle and Buffaloes in Tamil Nadu: Adoption of Estrus Synchronization Technique to Improve Productive and Reproductive Potential
- Conduct of Skill Development Training Programmes on 'Dairy Farm Assistant'.
- Conduct of Self-employment Training Programmes on 'Goat Farming'.
- Conduct of Technology Based Entrepreneurship Development Training Programmes on 'Hygienic Poultry Meat Production, Processing and Value-addition'.
- Village Adoption Programme
- Conduct of Front Line Demonstrations and On-Farm Trials
Dr. K. Sivakumar, Associate Professor and Head | sivakumar[dot]k[at]tanuvas[dot]ac[dot]in | +91-99943 55021
Dr. A. Aruljothi, Assistant Professor | aruljothi[dot]a[at]tanuvas[dot]ac[dot]in | +91-98423 12685
Dr. P. Nithya, Assistant Professor | nithya[dot]p[at]tanuvas[dot]ac[dot]in | +91-96002 11883