The Madras Veterinary College (MVC), the first of the four constituent veterinary colleges of TANUVAS, was started as an equine treatment school with five students in a temporary structure at Saidapet, Chennai in 1903. It is one of the oldest veterinary schools in the country. Since inception, the college started growing in stature and is now recognized as a premier veterinary institute in the country and world over.

The college is located at Vepery near Chennai Central in nearly 6 ha. of land. The main administrative block is a heritage building built on the Indo- Saracenic architecture, that currently houses the Dean's office and the education cell. Besides, there are nine blocks of buildings, housing various departments with excellent facilities for education, research and extension.


Though a college may possess state of the art infrastructure, quality education is possible only by the presence of qualified, dedicated teaching faculty. Madras Veterinary College is enriched by the availability of the most number of teachers when compared to any other veterinary college in the country, with a ratio of one teacher for every five students. Most of the teachers possess Doctoral degree and many of them are trained in National and Foreign laboratories.

Faculty in position

  • Professors - 74
  • Associate Professors - 23
  • Assistant Professors - 82