Farmers Training Centre, Kancheepuram was established by Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University and it started functioning from 1980. Kanchipuram is very ancient city, the headquarters of Kanchipuram district, spotted with large number of temples and known for hand woven silk sarees. Kanchipuram is located in the south west direction at a distance of 75 km from Chennai.
Farmers Training Centre, Kanchipuram is located in Kanchipuram-Enathur road, nearer to Sankara University and Meenakshi Medical College. The nearest rail-heads are Kanchipuram new and old stations, situated only 3 km from the centre.
- To provide latest technical knowledge on livestock and poultry farming to the farmers through On-campus and Off-campus training.
- To solve the practical problems of livestock and poultry farmers.
- To act as a two way channel between the farmers and the laboratory.
This centre acts as a two way channel i.e. extension agency between the farmers and different units/laboratories of Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University. The centre has several activities as follows:
On-Campus and Off-Campus Training Programmes
- The technical knowledge on animal husbandry enterprises were disseminated regularly through on-campus and off-campus training programmes to the male and female farmers, unemployed individuals, small scale entrepreneurs, women self help groups and non-governmental organizations. The on-campus and off-campus training programmes also conducted in co-ordination with Animal Husbandry Department, Agriculture Department,Banks,RBI, DRDA and NGOs.
Farm Advisory Services
- Farm advisory services are rendered to needy persons pertaining to animal husbandry in person, by mail and over telephone, thus helping the farmers to solve their practical problems.
- Video shows are being arranged regularly for benefitting the farmers on various animal husbandry activities.
Dissemination of Technology
- Latest technical knowledge disseminated pertaining to Animal Husbandry enterprises through mass media like Doordharshan, All India Radio, Newspapers, and Journals.
Transfer of Technology (TOT)
- Programmes are conducted regularly to sensitize the importance of Mineral Mixture inclusion in livestock and poultry feed.
- Programmes are conducted regularly to sensitize the importance of timely Vaccination and Deworming in livestock and poultry.
Sale of TANUVAS mineral mixture
- TANUVAS mineral mixture is regularly made available for sale at reasonable prices and the farmers are motivated to include this in their animal feed formulation.
Field and farm visits
- The progressive farmers' farms have been visited by the faculty and offered advisory services to enhance the production.
- Farm visits are arranged for farmers to TANUVAS university farms for on farm experience in livestock farming.
- Farm visits are arranged to TANUVAS Research farms for getting exposure and experience in livestock farming to the farmers, entrepreneurs and trainees.
- Participating in Kalnadai Padhukappu Thittam and Mass Contact Programmes organized by Animal Husbandry Department, Tamil Nadu.
- Project proposals for various Livestock and Poultry farming entrepreneurs are prepared on request.
- Guest lectures are delivered to the beneficiaries of ATMA, PVP, INDSETI and Hand In Hand and other NGOs.
- Need based training programmes and method demonstrations are also being organised regularly on animal husbandry enterprises.
The Centre offers on and off campus training programmes on the following:
- Dairy farming
- Sheep and goat farming
- Poultry farming (Layer, Broiler, Desi birds, Turkey and Japanese quail)
- Rabbit farming
- Milk products preparation
- Green fodder production
- Integrated Farming System
Funded Scheme (on-going)
Impact of low cost technology transfer on the economic upliftment of women dairy farmers in Kancheepuram district (TRCF).
This scheme is in progress with twin objectives of:
- Establishing Model organic fodder park of high yielding fodder crops like Co-3, Co-4, Co FS 29 etc and protein rich Azolla plots and
- Training the women dairy farmers about complete feeding strategies, health cover plan and clean milk production practices through lectures, demonstrations, exposure visits, hands-on training etc.
Externally Funded Scheme (Completed)
The District Level Unit of NADP Scheme on "Genetic Upgradation of Cattle and Buffaloes in Tamilnadu: Adoption of Oestrus Synchronization Technique to Improve Productive and Reproductive Potential" was started in 23.02.2009 and completed in 31.07.2010. The project was undertaken in more than 70 villages in Kanchipuram District. Out of 714 cows selected, synchronized and bred, a total of 420 were proved positive for pregnancy accounting a conception rate of 59.40%, whereas the conception rate was 56.0 % for the 84 buffaloes available for pregnancy diagnosis in the study. The overall conception rate for bovines in Kanchipuram District was 59 %. The project has helped to increase the conception rate in Bovines significantly under field conditions, thereby proving that the problems of infertility due to estrus detection and timing of AI could be overcome by applying Oestrus synchronization technique.
The fodder park facility at the Farmers Training Centre, Enathur, Kancheepuram is a demonstration unit consisting of various fodder varieties like CO3, CO4, COFS 29, Para grass, Guinea grass and Subabul.
Honorable Chief Ministers Priceless Distribution of Milch Animals and Sheep and Goat
- For the benefit of the Beneficiaries of Honorable Chief Ministers Priceless Distribution of Milch animals and Sheep and Goat, 51 Off-campus training programmes were conducted in Tiruvallur District during 2014.
- A total of 2661 beneficiaries were benefitted through this training programme during 2014.
State poultry development scheme on "Native Chicken Rearing"
- For the Beneficiaries of the State Poultry development Scheme (SPD) three days training programme on native chicken rearing were conducted in Tiruvallur, Ponneri and Tirutani divisions of Tiruvallur district during the 2014.
- A total of 435 poultry farmers were benefitted through this training programme from 2013 to 2015.
"Artificial Insemination in Cattle" training for rural youths
- TNLDA sponsored training programme on "Artificial Insemination in Cattle" Training for Rural Youths was organized from 05/11/2014 to 04/12/2014 at Farmers Training Centre, Enathur, Kanchipuram 631 561 and 17 trainees were participated. All the trainees are doing AI in cattle to the needy farmers.
Dr. P. Veeramani, Assistant Professor and Head, Mobile: +91-9442048026
Dr. B. Vasanthi, Assistant Professor, Mobile: +91-
The Assistant Professor and Head,
Farmers Training Centre, Enathur,
Kancheepuram – 631 561.
Phone No.: 044-27264019