DIRECTORATE OF EXTENSION EDUCATION,
OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSTITUENT UNITS
VETERINARY UNIVERSITY TRAINING AND RESEARCH CENTRES
For effective transfer of technology and strengthen the extension education system of the University all the 18 Veterinary University Training and Research Centres were brought under the technical and administrative control of the Directorate of Extension Education. The centres spread across the length and breadth of Tamil Nadu impart training, provide farm advisory services and provide animal health care services.
- To impart training on the felt need of the end users, practicing farmers and officers of the line department
- To act as a two way channel between University and the farmers to identify the field based livestock and poultry problems and also to pass on the remedial measures
- To conduct on farm trails on the latest research findings of the University and field oriented problems specific to the area
- To ensure an immediate and through diagnosis of disease in the event of an outbreak with special emphasis on disease reporting system
- To motivate and encourage in establishing livestock and poultry farms for self-employment by the local farmers
- To collaborate with state and Central sponsored rural development programmes
- To develop and maintain data on livestock / poultry in the area
- To carryout short term need based location specific projects
FARMERS TRAINING CENTRES
The three Farmers Training Centres functioning at Theni, Kancheepuram and Tiruvarur caters to the needs of livestock and poultry farmers. The Centres located in various districts of Tamil Nadu impart training, provide advisory services and generate employment opportunity to the various sections of the society.
- To provide latest technical knowledge about livestock and poultry farming to the farmers
- To solve the practical problems of livestock & poultry farmers
- To act as a two way channel between the farmers and laboratory.
KRISHI VIGYAN KENDRAS
The three Krishi Vigyan Kendras functioning at Kattupakkam, Kundrakudi and Namakkal are funded by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi with the following
- To provide technical know-how in the field of Agriculture, Horticulture, Livestock, Poultry, Home Science, Agricultural Engineering and Fisheries etc.
- To organize short term and long duration training programmes
- To provide non-formal education by way of field trips, farm visits, farmers fairs, radio talks
- To organize demonstrations on scientific practices to convince the farmers on latest technical knowledge
AGRICULTURAL TECHNOLOGY INFORMATION CENTRE, KATTUPAKKAM
- To deliver all the technologies developed in this university to the farmers, entrepreneurs and others
- To offer services through Animal Clinics
- To provide latest information to the needy personnel related to Veterinary, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries sectors.